Present Your PhD Thesis at MARUF23 in 3 Minutes!
The third Marmara Urban Forum (MARUF), organized by Marmara Municipalities Union, will be held on 4-6 October 2023 in Istanbul. MARUF PhD Showcase gives PhD candidates a ground for verbally presenting their PhD projects in English within less than three minutes. Application deadline is July 14, 2023, 23.59 (UTC +3).
PhD Showcase is a competition that gives PhD candidates a ground for verbally presenting their thesis, related to MARUF's motto "Cities Developing Solutions", in English within less than three minutes. PhD Showcase aims to bring together various thesis topics related to the city such as public space, equality, climate change, migration, infrastructure, transportation, public health, digitalization, circular economy, local development, urban technologies and innovation, protection of agricultural areas, risk management, and so on.
- The candidates need to be enrolled in doctoral programs and writing their thesis, and thesis topics should be related to urbanism.
- Application deadline is July 14, 2023, 23.59 (UTC +3).
- All presentations need to be in English.
- Presentations are limited to 3 (three) minutes. Exceeding the limit will result in disqualification.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts the presentation through movement or speech.
- Presentations must be given orally.
- No visual materials and additional props (e.g., photos, videos, slide transitions, animations, costumes, musical instruments, notes, cue cards, audio and video files) are permitted, only a single-static PowerPoint slide is allowed.
Assessment and Awarding
- The doctoral researchers who will present their thesis in PhD Showcase will be determined by MARUF Arbitration Committee.
- Competitors will give their 3-minute presentations in front of an audience and a jury comprised of academics, local managers, and mayors.
- Winners and honorable mentions will be determined by the votes of the jury and will be announced immediately afterwards.
- The winner will receive a 25,000₺ award.
- Two presenters will receive honorable mention awards of 10,000₺.
Apply here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1YNhyvz9WDMI7gTf99GgDeUOOfD_l6T9kmlAJf4xqAe8Mkw/viewform